Sunday 10 January 2010

Memories - thank you, Liska

It's been a while, and that has it's reasons.
This autumn we learned that Liska had cancer, only 1 year and 8 months old! It was a great shock to us that such a healthy-looking and energetic dog could be that sick. It all started with some sneezing, which we consulted a veterinarian about. After a while, the sneezing was followed by swelling in the nasal region. We demanded that they took an x-ray, and it turned out she had something as odd as an ameloblastoma, a benign cancer in the oral cavity connected to the dental development.
Liska had surgery to remove the tumor, but only got worse. She died quietly the week after, and we asked for a pathology. It turned out the cancer in the mouth wasn't the only thing wrong in that small body of hers. She'd suffered from multiple tumors of multiple origins spread throughout most of her body. Her body was so totally worn out when she finally died, that it's almost unbelievable she could keep going as long as she did, looking so healthy and thriving to our eyes. She must have been fighting it so hard, for so long, while fooling us all with her joy for life and her unstoppable energy.

I think loosing Liska has been one of the most difficult times in my life, and it's still difficult to realize she's gone for good. Still, I'm glad the suffering she must have felt finally came to an end, and that she got to find peace while being held and cared for by the ones she loved, her "pack".

Dear Liska,
being my first dog, you've meant so much to me that it's impossible to really explain it. You've been the best friend in the world, and that's a bond nothing can break, not even something as consistent as death.
I like to picture you in dog heaven, looking down on us as you take a break from doing all those things you love - jumping high, running fast, chasing cats and catching balls!
Wherever you are, I'll never forget all those special moments and memories we had together the short time you got to spend down here. All the hours we spent together playing hide and seek in the fields, your crazy flights to get the frisbee before it touched ground, and exploring the world together every day.
You are the most special dog I've ever met - the most loyal and caring dog, and the most playful one too! Not one day went by that you didn't let me know how much I meant to you.
I remember picking you up in Zabovresky when you were only a baby - the wildest and most lovable baby puppy I'd ever seen. I remember how I was supposed to bring home one of your sisters, but instead ended up with you - because that was just how it was supposed to be. And not one moment have I regretted it. Even though our time together was much too short, there's no one else I'd rather spent it with!

I remember how you came to Slovak class with me in the beginning, because you were not happy being away from me too much.
And I remember how you later used to look for me and Halldor through the window of our flat, waiting for us to come back - or just checking if the coast was clear to do some mischief!?
When I think of you, I remember all those happy moments seeing you grow up to become that wonderful dog that everyone who got to know you, couldn't help falling in love with..
You didn't only mean the world to me, you also lightened up the days and lives of all your other friends who loved you, and who you loved back.

We just brought home a new, little baby. Vojak's from Zabovresky too, and I think you'd really like him. He's unlike you in so many ways, but on the inside he's the same material as you, and having him around keeps all those wonderful memories alive.

Thank you, Liska, for giving us all those wonderful moments and adventures to remember you by!

2 comments:

Tina Marie said...

Nei, nei, nei!
Å miste et kjæledyr er noe av det grusomste som finnes, kondolerer så utrolig mye :(

Anička said...

This was beautiful, Elisabeth! We all miss Liska! May she rest in peace!